Thursday, November 14, 2019

23A - Your Venture's Unfair Advantage

1.  Social Capital: access to Dr. Thompson's surgical patients. They would be referred to me for post-surgery meals.

  • Valuable: Yes, my target market are those who've recently undergone oral surgery and having Dr. Thompson as a contact to refer some of his patients to me would help my business out tremendously in the beginning.
  • Rare: Not necessarily, anyone with the same idea could try getting customers from other dentist offices.
  • Inimitable: No, because personal relationships are unique to each person.
  • Non-substitutable: Yes
2. Human Capital: I am a Business Administration Major, so the knowledge and experience would help me manage by future venture.
  • Valuable: Yes, an education is always a valuable asset
  • Rare: Not exactly, since almost anyone can pursue an education
  • Inimitable: No, because how someone decides to apply the education they received is unique to each individual.
  • Non-substitutable: The skills learned from education cannot be substituted
3. Leadership Experience: I have been a manager in my company for the past three years.
  • Valuable: Yes, if I ever decided to expand, leadership experience would come in handy when hiring new people.
  • Rare: No, there are plenty of people in leadership positions in all kinds of fields.
  • Inimitable: No, not everyone can be a good leader and more than that each leader creates their own work culture.
  • Non-substitutable: A good leader would be hard to substitute in any situation.
4. Cooking Skills: I like to cook and bake in my spare time.
  • Valuable: For my venture this is extremely valuable since I would be making food for other people and when ordering food from anyplace people expect it to taste good.
  • Rare: A lot of people can make good food, but not everyone can make great food.
  • Inimitable: Only if the cook decides to share their recipe.
  • Non-substitutable: Certain dishes are hard to recreate without prior knowledge of recipes and ingredients.
5. Personal Experience: Knowledge of food safety and regulations.
  • Valuable: Yes, I don't work directly with food at my work but I work in the Fresh Food Department. Due to this I know a lot of the federal guidelines for food safety such as cold food having to remain below 41 degrees and hot food having to remain above 140 degrees after being cooked.
  • Rare: Anyone who works with food in a professional setting should be aware of these regulations.
  • Inimitable: Since it deals with regulations, the point is that they are followed in order to ensure that people are served the freshest food possible.
  • Non-substitutable: There are no substitutions for food regulations unless you make them even stricter or you risk making someone sick
6. Social Capital: My contact with Ms. Martin who is a third-party delivery driver for the company I work at.

  • Valuable: To me she is an important contact since her delivery services would be necessary if someone needed their meals delivered to their home.
  • Rare: There are a number of food delivery services and though there are other options, it is not a saturated market.
  • Inimitable: Again, personal relationships are hard to recreate and the rapport one builds with another person is hard to imitate.
  • Non-substitutable: Again a personal relationship cannot be substituted.
7. I personally know people who've had oral surgery.
  • Valuable: Yes, this gave me insight into my target market.
  • Rare: No, people in the United States tend to have oral surgery at least once sometimes more than that during their lifetime either to have their wisdom teeth taken out or to get dentures.
  • Inimitable: The experiences recounted to me are unique to each individual and cannot be imitated.
  • Non-substitutable: Their experience cannot be substituted.
8.  Attention to detail.
  • Valuable: Yes, not everyone takes the extra time to go above and beyond.
  • Rare: It can be.
  • Inimitable: It's an attribute that's hard to imitate.
  • Non-substitutable: Yes.
9. Hard-worker
  • Valuable: Always, hard work eventually pays off.
  • Rare: Yes and No, there are plenty of good hard workers but it's harder to put in extra work without an incentive.
  • Inimitable: Hard work cannot easily be imitated.
  • Non-substitutable: Yes
10. Not having a competitive market
  • Valuable: Yes, the less competition the less you have to worry about competing for customers.
  • Rare: There are plenty of restaurants that deliver food to people in their work places and at home but not another company that seeks to cater to those that are on a soft-food diet (at least in my area).
  • Inimitable: Since a company like mine doesn't exist in my area, it cannot be immediately imitated.
  • Non-substitutable: Other restaurants offer a couple options for those seeking a soft-food diet but they don't offer a full menu which is something I would do.
After conducting the VRIN analysis, my top resource would have to be my hard work ethic. Without it, even if I had the best people working alongside and for me, I would not be able to make my venture succeed. Like I said in the VRIN analysis, hard- work eventually pays off, you just have to put in the effort in the beginning.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Katia,
    You have a great list of resources that can aid to your entrepreneurship success. The more detailed resources seem extremely valuable. After conducting you VRIN, you concluded your hard work ethic is your top resource. From reading your list, I wish you went into more detail about what that consists of. From my point of view, your previous experience working at Fresh Foods is an unfair advantage. You have a background in the food industry, understand the regulations, know customer behaviors, and how to work in this market. Over all great job and great list!
    Christina

    ReplyDelete
  2. Katia,

    Great post. I can tell that you have a lot of useful resources, which can give your business a significant advantage. I agree that your hardworking attitude is your most important resource. At this point in our careers, there are few distinguishing aspects between us. Although your resources are all valuable, many share similar advantages. That being said, success is determined by how hard you work and want to succeed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Katia,
    great post i like how you used and spoke about your resources. using multiple resources can give a business an advantage due to the feedback. the resources you have used can be valuable for you to use for your business. overall you did a great job on your post.

    ReplyDelete